CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Security in Knowledge Sharing



As a sequel to Delegation, I’d like to talk about my experience with mentoring and sharing knowledge. I cannot delegate if the delegatees do not know how to do the job I want them to do. For a novice in the team, it had to be teaching. For someone with a good level of knowledge, it had to be mentoring. For someone who has enough experience, it is only coaching needed. In either of these methods, I needed to pass down the knowledge.

There were some few months of my management period when I felt like a star because people could sense that within the team, only I knew so much.. But this was to my own detriment. I had to do the jobs myself and I could not delegate. My system almost crashed because of excess work load and I almost broke down.

My vacation was fast approaching. I wondered what would happen when I am away? It would not tell well of me if the team could not survive in my absence. It then dawned on me that I had to pass down knowledge.

This knowledge sharing came through teaching, hands on training, developing manuals and procedures they could follow, coaching and mentoring. Yes, it was a month of spending extra hours but it paid off. Not only did the team members have the confidence to work independently, they had materials to refer to in my absence.

I know that there are some who feel passing down knowledge would make them irrelevant. On the contrary, passing down knowledge freed me to do other things and prepared me for higher responsibility. I felt more valuable having shared knowledge rather than hoarding it to myself.

What’s your take on this?

6 comments:

Fammy said...

This is very true, as exemplified in Jethro's advice to Moses when he sat to judge the entire Isrealite community. (Ex. 18)

You would only wear yourself out and wear out the people who are waiting for your results. God bless.

Rita said...

Your words are so true, Fanwest...let's reduce the wearing out...

Thanks.

~Sirius~ said...

I believe in passing on knowledge, not only to cut down your wearing out span, but also as a contribution to society, I for one derive joy in learning from experienced people, they know stuff the books won't tell you.

Rita said...

Very well said in "they know stuff the books won't tell you" I think that is the greatest benefit and I can attest to that...I guess that is why they call it experience?

Anonymous said...

well, its really paying off well now. Ur team is doing very great now. when are u back from vac?

Rita said...

Thanks dear. I'll be back next week.