CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Managing Myself and Getting Organized


It was 8p.m. Like every other day of the week, I had put in 11 hours of work. Yet there was nothing to show for it. I had toiled and sweated, missed lunch (no breakfast by the way), still there was no effective work done. That spelt inefficiency. Something was wrong.

With a sigh of frustration, I went through all I had done that day.
1. Reply emails that led to series of other emails.
2. Answering phone calls.
3. Helped colleagues get their job done.
4. Struggled over something for boss that had no head or tail. It was only after 5 hours when I could not get it done, that I had asked for clarifications.
5. Mentoring.
6. Browsing.

It was the same pattern the whole week. Wasted hours.

I could not manage the team if I could not manage myself. Those were my thoughts all through the weekend as I tried to find a solution to the inefficiency.

A new week began with a different approach.
1. I had a motto: Work is 8am to 6p.m. If at the office earlier than 8 am, use the time to check non-official emails and browse. When work starts, start work.
2. Do not respond to non-pressing official emails until after lunch. By then, you would have accomplished a lot of things (done within the first few hours of work).
3. Outline the tasks for the day, and allocate timings (when and duration) to it. Take notes of incoming tasks and their level of priority.

When I tried these few things, I saw some improvement in what I was able to accomplish in a day.

The key to solving the inefficiency was: To manage people, you have to manage yourself. This involves managing your time and activities, and getting yourself organized.

But these were not all that made the difference. I will share with you more in subsequent posts.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add reading online 9ja papers to that and we will be on the same page. Its work my friend whether it looked like it or not, they say making an effort to come to work everyday is work itself.

Rita said...

How could I forget that part? LOL.
It's really true, 80% of the work was coming to work. You really know how it feels...

princesa said...

You got that key right dear. Managing oneself first before managing others.

How do you cope with four blogs???!!!

Rita said...

@ Princesa: I write short things...It's also like updating one blog everyday but I separate them because they are different thoughts...

Maybe I am applying something I learnt when they gave me "The Hot Seat"

Rita said...

Thank God for the strength to write and the inspiration...

busybee said...

nice blog, fellow-engineer.... i'm moving to naij and hoping to start working there so i'll be reading your blog often to get tips on how to survive naija work life... congrats on ur promotion!!!

http://musingsofanaijagirl.blogspot.com/

Rita said...

@ Arewa: Thanks oh. wishing you a great time back in Naija.

aloted said...

good time management skills!!!

keep it up! do u know about the 80/20 rule? u can google it for more info

and men how u manage 4 blog still amazes me.. :)

Rita said...

@ Aloted: Hmmm...I just read the 80/20 Rule as it applies to Management. I was like "so 80% of things I do are trivial?"

Thanks for encouraging me and for sharing the 80/20 Rule. Hope you can blog about it.

What can I say about the 4 blogs?

aloted said...

hmm ok i'll add it to the list of my topics to blog about ;)

meanwhile it looks like we have a common friend outside of blogville. wats ur email addy so we can discuss offline ;) mine is aloted@yahoo.com

Jennifer A. said...

Oh wow, I will apply this lesson to my every day life. It makes perfect sense to manage yourself first before you manage others.